The hamman stands in the centre of the modern town of Kos, next to the castle of Nerangia, the plane-tree of Hippocrates and the Loggia Mosque, within the wider precinct of the archaeological site containing the Ancient Agora and the medieval town.
It is a middle-sized bathhouse, dated in the 17th century, and the only one in the Dodecanese to have operated up to 1948. Since then, until the early 1980’s, it was used as a salt depot -since it is right by the harbour- thereby getting its second name.
The bath covers an area of 300 m². It is rectangular in plan, covered with low, brick domes coated with strong waterproof cement and pierced by glazed light-holes.
The interior is divided as follows:
The raised central room serving as a rest and recreation hall is the most impressive part.
It was considerably damaged by the earthquake of 1933, and the reception collapsed; it was rebuilt during the Italian occupation. Its several structural problems led the 4th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities of Dodecanese to base its restoration, with partial reconstruction, on a special study commissioned within the terms of a contract signed between the Ministry of Culture, the Archaeological Receipts Fund and the Town of Kos; the project was funded by the 3rd European Community Support Framework and the building is now open to the public as an attraction of the town centre and part of a heritage walk.
Last update: 24-06-2011.